School Apps: Mike Yawney
- The countdown is on. In less than two weeks kids will be back in the classroom, but are they ready? And are you prepared to deal with the excuses they will use to get out of doing their homework? City’s technology specialist Mike Yawney now with a look at some of the best back to school gadgets to help them get their work done this fall.
To read the full report go to www.edmontondowntown.com
Overdose Prevention: Matthew Wong
- Nearly 400 people died of an overdose in Alberta last year. Some are calling on the government to come up with a province wide overdose prevention program. We have Streetworks Overdose prevention nurse here to talk more.
BT Food Truck Fridays: The Hop Food Truck
- The Hop is a food truck from Leduc, Alberta. Our concept borrows elements from drive-thru diners of the past and combines them with a modern approach to fast food. Our food is all about staying simple and staying true to traditional fast food.We use a custom blend of fresh beef that is ground daily. We also strive to use fresh, local and Alberta made products and produce for every item on our menu.
LIVE at John Janzen Nature Centre
- A gateway to the heart of Edmonton’s River Valley, the newly-renovated John Janzen Nature Centre takes visitors for a walk on the wild side with programs, events and interactive exhibits designed to promote awareness and engagement with nature in an urban setting – and it’s Labour Day Long Weekend and John Janzen has tons of great offerings for families!!! Michele is live on location talking about all the fabulous offerings!
Downtown Perception Survey: Luca Petryshyn
- Downtown Edmonton appears to be on an upswing. The future looks bright. 104 Street, the new arena, skyscrapers. We delve deeper with the author of a new report about the myths that persist.
To read the full report go to www.edmontondowntown.com
CRAFT Beer Market Corporate Chef: Paul McGreevy
- Chef Paul is in studio to promote ‘Chef’s For Oceans’ which promotes sustainable seafood. Chef’s are known for using fresh ingredients that nature provides them, but Paul is trying to spread the word that we need to be mindful to replenish natures gifts.
Artist, Fabio Napoleoni
- Napoleoni is one of the best selling artists in North America today and he is a very interesting artist with a very touching story. He will have shows at Edmonton galleries the end of August. The show at Editions W.E.M will take place on Saturday, August 30th from 4 – 9 pm.
LIVE at Sutton Place Hotel
- Bridget will be in attendance for this adventure of a lifetime! It’s required that all rapellers raise a minimum of $1,500 in pledges while challenging their comfort zone all for a great cause. Funds raised during the event will support children and adults with disabilities and special needs in Alberta through equipment and camp programs of Easter Seals Alberta. Participants get into theme of things with dressing as their favourite Superhero, as you are a Superhero to Easter Seals kids.
On the Spot Pop Up: Marissa Loewen
- Ditch the lame frame and spice your picture holders up a little. We’re getting crafty with our good friend Marissa from On the Spot coming up at 6:50 and 7:10am
The Savvy Do-Gooder: Nadine Riopel
- You don’t need to move mountains or raise millions to leave this mound of dust a little better than how you found it. We welcome Nadine Riopel, the Savvy Do-Gooder, on her quest to make this world better.. one small act at a time.
LIVE from Perfect Storm Athletics
- Bridget will spend the AM with Dianne talking about one of the greatest Cheer/Dance Schools in Western Canada. Perfect Storm Athletics is entering its fifth season and has become a strong force in Canada’s cheerleading and dance community. Our programs provide an opportunity for athletes of all ages and abilities to be challenged in a co-operative, positive, and safe family environment.
Happiness Expert: Elizabeth Manuel
- Despite it’s clear importance for health and survival, sociological research suggests that social connectedness is diminishing at an alarming rate, making us more vulnerable to anxiety, depression and vulnerable to disease. Underestimating the positive impact of social connections is bad for our health and happiness says Happiness and relationship expert Elizabeth Manuel. We need other people to be well and thrive.
This Bird’s Day Lunch: Sheri Landry
- Sheri Landry has teamed up with Sobey’s and Jamie Oliver to find ways to provide children with better lunches, healthier options and fuel to learn throughout the day!
LIVE from Chruchill Square for the World Triathalon
- All eyes will be on Edmonton, Canada, in 2014 as the TransCanada Corp. World Triathlon Grand Final returns to Alberta’s Capital City.
As a proven host of many major international sports events, Edmonton last hosted the World Championships in 2001, which left a lasting legacy for the sport of triathlon in Edmonton. From August 26 – September 1, 2014, the world returns to Edmonton to race in scenic Hawrelak Park and through Edmonton’s expansive River Valley.
Internet Addiction: Jason Jones, BSc (hons)
- The internet is everywhere around us, so when does that usage cross the line into the point of addiction? Jason Jones comes in to discuss what he considers to be the tipping point.
Arthritis Suit: Dr. Stephanie Keeling
- One percent of Canadians live with Rheumatoid Arthritis every day and the other 99% of us didn’t know what that felt like… until now. Ryan tries on a RA suit meant to simulate the experience.
Sabrina Carpenter: Girl Meets World
- Her show ‘Girl Meets World’ is debuting this Friday on Family Channel and she’ performing at the Jubilee tonight. Needless to say it’s a big week for 15-year-old superstar Sabrina Carpenter. She joins us at 8:30am.
LIVE at GURU Digital Arts
- GURU have a partnership with MC College and they would like to demonstrate a process that takes us through a production shoot that would feature you as our model/character for a magazine piece.
Ryan and Bridget’s Guests
BT Block Party!
Pancake Breakfast (6 am to 9 am)
- Everyone knows the key to a productive day is a hearty breakfast. The wonderful folks at Sobey’s are going to be serving a hot delicious breakfast all morning long at BT’s Block Party.
Tools for School: Jenn Dermott and Lesley De Vos
- The United Way in conjunction with Staples are trying to make heading back to school a lot happier for kids in need. In it’s 20th year, Tools For School is looking to fill a school bus full of essentials in order to surpass the nearly 9,000 backpacks they distributed last year.
River City Street Classic: Leigh Wright
- 24 hours of hockey is what you’re in for if you attend the River City Street Classic but it really is so much more. Team BT captained by Ryan Jespersen takes on Team Sportsnet who’s fearless leader Gene Principe leads them into the marathon battle.
Zookeeper: Wayne Woods
- Lions and tigers and frogs, oh my! Last time the Edmonton Valley Zoo was on BT we saw an owl have its breakfast LIVE on TV. Today some amphibian friends are visiting our block party and some you may know: Michigan J. Frog, Pacman, and a poison dart frog who needs no introduction.
Eveline Charles Academy: Janelle Trudeau
- There’s nothing that makes you feel better than a new hair cut. Students from the Eveline Charles Academy have volunteered their time to come to our BT Block party and get you’re kids a new do’ for the new year.
Fire Dancer: Marissa Puff
- Play with fire and you’re going to get burned… unless you’re Marissa Puff. Her and a performance crew will show you a scorching good time at the BT Block party!
DJ Tripp West
- Tripp West from The Bounce 91.7, who moonlights as our wonderful guest host has taken some time out of his bus schedule to set the tone all morning long at the BT Block Party!
Mike Nickel: To the Point
- Current Edmonton city councillor, Mike Nickel, is set to launch his new satirical current affairs show entitled “To the Point” on September 2nd.
Cult of Creativity: Gordon Neufeld
- You may know them as Moonies or Unification Church members but Gordon Neufeld knew them as his brethren, and after he left, he tapped into that experience for his new book. We welcome him into the studio.
Bacon Day: Chef Paul Shufelt
- When you’re talking favourite holidays you think, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving.. but you need to forget all that. Bacon Day is coming to our city next weekend.
Bacon Day YESS Fundraiser
LUX Steakhouse & Bar
Friday, 29 August 2014 at 6:30 PM
Bacon, bean and potato salad recipe here
Cheer Body Fitness
- New way to work off some steam, meet some new people and have some fun. Cheer Body Fitness classes coming to Edmonton and Ryan is going to give it a go… Maybe, if we’re lucky.
Classes Friday at 7pm and Saturday at 11:30am
Pique Dance Centre
10604 105 Avenue
Live in Wahoo, Alberta
- Bridget is in from Wahoo Alberta and wraps up the 1914 Road Trip talking about the challenges and how it went!
Paddling with PTSD
- Trevor Petersen has just completed his paddling jersey from Edmonton to Winnipeg after weeks of utter exhaustion and aching muscles, he joins us in the comfort of the BT studio.
Go Fund Me: Jayden Stad
- Who says people don’t care about their neighbours these days? We meet a young man who’s running 42k to raise money for his teen neighbour, 13 year old Jayden Stad, who was diagnosed with a brainstem tumour last year and given only 9 months to live. We are now at month 8 and he is doing better than expected and riding his bike (his personal goal this summer) and looking forward to school.
Ann-Marie Burton: Momstown.ca
- No more living off freezies–summer is almost over and it’s back to school bedlam – Ann Marie Burton of Momstown is here to help with lunch and after school snack ideas.
Sorin Mihailovici: Scam Detector
- Scams, phishing, and trickery are all common issues even the savviest of consumers and social media users run into. Sorin joins Ryan to talk about the trolls to avoid this month with the top 3 scams making their round in the inter-verse.
LIVE at Historic Fort Normandeau
- On the Trail of 1914 with Ray Fowler! Bridget is live from Fort Normandeau Historic Site where she will check in with Ray on how the road trip is going as well feature the Fort Nomandeau Museum.